Anniversary

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Sep 21 16:04:43 PDT 2002

At 1:57 PM -0400 9/19/02, pms wrote:
> > National differences in wages have thus historically developed, as
>> have different levels and forms of national development. If national
>> differences become smaller, will American workers be worse off than
>> now? That depends on what causes national differences to shrink --
>> whether it's the leveling down or leveling up.
>> --
>> Yoshie
>
>I think this may be the war we are really in the midst of. Wealth is on the
>move. How's that going to play out domestically? Somehow it's tied up with
>what's happening in the gold, currency and credit markets.

William Greider writes hopefully:

***** Posted September 5, 2002

The End of Empire by WILLIAM GREIDER

The imperial ambitions of the Bush Administration, post-9/11, are founded on quicksand and are eventually sure to founder, but for fundamental reasons not currently under discussion. Bush's open-ended claims for US power--including the unilateral right to invade and occupy "failed states" to execute "regime change"--offend international law and are prerogatives associated only with empire. But Bush's greater vulnerability is about money. You can't sustain an empire from a debtor's weakening position--sooner or later the creditors pull the plug. That humiliating lesson was learned by Great Britain early in the last century, and the United States faces a similar reckoning ahead....

<http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020923&s=greider> ***** -- Yoshie