Lefty Despair

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Sep 21 21:44:46 PDT 2002

Yoshie wrote:

> I'd welcome discussion on goals and strategies, short-term, mid-term,
> and long-term. Perhaps, you can help us begin a constructive
> discussion on them by laying out what you think.

Frankly, I don't know what I think at this point about these very important questions, except that I'm pretty sure that there is a very large potential popular opposition to the system which no one has quite found the right way to actualize, as evidenced by the uneasiness about the coming attack on Iraq that some polls (if they are worded the right way) and political observers have picked up, the fact (I think it is a fact) that many, many Americans really wish Bush were not in the White House and still believe (although they have been convinced that there's no good crying over spilt milk at this point) that he stole the election, the fact that books like Moore's "Stupid White People" and Chomsky's "9-11" have been selling so well (and TV was supposed to make books obsolete), etc.

If I knew the magic formula for turning this potential into actuality, I'd wouldn't keep it a secret, for sure. One thing that does bother me a lot (as someone who finds a lot in Marx very enlightening about the capitalist system even in 2002) is that Marxists, who are heirs to a body of thought that claims to be "scientific," don't look very much like real scientists. If they were scientists, they would have had a body of commonly accepted knowledge to show for all their efforts by now, the way astronomers, physicists, etc., have. They wouldn't be constantly grabbing each other by the throats and clubbing each other over the head with their massive tomes, while the System goes blithely on its way. You don't see geologists and biologists acting this way.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ "Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." -- Groucho