Japan

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Sun Sep 22 08:30:27 PDT 2002

Could all this have something to do with the fact that it's finally weakened the Y? I mean the currency interventions the Japanese have tried didn't work much, and then only for a second or two? This has knocked the Y down more than all currency intervention attempts. Even though I don't really "get" this stuff, the feeling that this issue is a constant obsession of govt's and some sort of battlefront, gets stronger daily. This new report from the IMF could be the return volley from the folks who want a weaker USD. Another thing about the Japanese plan is that the BOJ says it can pull this off specifically because of it's huge foriegn currency reserves, and ain't those dollars? So what happens when those currency reserves are pushed into the banking system, wouldn't that weaken the dollar and stengthen the Y? Are they caught in a trap or laying one or what? What costs them more, a strong Y cause it's supposedly hurts exports, or a weak dollar cause they got so many of them?(as does everyone else). Wouldn't a big plunge in the USD essentially rob the countries holding USD? These aren't rhetorical questions. As usual, I'm confused and suspicious.

IMF says U.S. dollar overvalued

Global lender says global trade imbalances have left the U.S. dollar overvalued, asks for reforms. September 19, 2002: 1:10 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Global trade imbalances have left the U.S. dollar overvalued, are unsustainable and call for prompt reforms in the United States, Europe and Japan, a new International Monetary Fund report said.

"With the U.S. current account deficit remaining in the range of 4 percent of GDP, an historical record, there is continuing concern that the dollar may be overvalued," the IMF said in its semiannual World Economic Outlook, issued Wednesday.

But the risk to the global economy goes beyond the U.S. position alone. The report said the imbalances between nations with surpluses, notably the euro area and Japan, and deficit countries like the United States, have "risen to levels almost never seen in industrial countries in the post-war era."

Perhaps more worrying, the IMF research suggested the situation could worsen in the coming years and concluded that the existing imbalances were unlikely to be viable.

It also said the possibility of a disorderly correction cannot be ruled out -- something that could produce a sharp correction in exchange rates among major currencies and a steep decline in global economic activity.

"Historical experience with large imbalances suggests that the reduction in external current account imbalances over the next few years is likely," the IMF report said.

But the IMF report said if policymakers take corrective action, the current nexus does not have to end in a major disruption to the global economy.

For the United States, the IMF said, authorities should tighten medium-term fiscal policy, encourage private saving and take measures to boost investor confidence.

In Europe, the lender suggested reducing labor-market rigidities and increasing competition in product markets, while in Japan banking and corporate reforms top the list of needed measures that would boost potential economic growth.

The IMF has been urging the United States, Europe and Japan to undertake those exact reforms for some time, with little success because of the political dynamic in each region.

Reining in U.S. government spending could prove unpopular with voters and would run counter to increased spending on the Bush administration's war on terrorism. European efforts at labor-market reforms are typically met with stiff resistance from labor unions. And in Japan, where the economy is suffering recession and deflation, policy options are limited.