Christian scholars say no war

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Sep 23 10:37:47 PDT 2002

> Chronicle of Higher Education - web daily - September 23, 2002
>
> In February, for example, 60 scholars issued a statement arguing that
> military action in Afghanistan against Al Qaeda qualified as just war.

Just out of curiousity, have the Walzer 60 piped up with anything specific about Iraq?

Also, now that I think about it -- Walzer's overriding criteria for distinguishing just from unjust war is that intentionally killing civilians is wrong, even for the purpose of deterring aggressors. He is not deterred by unintentional collateral damage because if you rule that out, you rule out war, and then you're a pacifist and not a just war theorist. But how, I wonder, does he justify sanctions of mass destruction? Because those are effectively targeted only at civilians, and precisely with the aim of harming aggressors through their suffering.

Michael