left/right cults (was re: Lefty Despair)

JCWisc at aol.com JCWisc at aol.com
Mon Sep 23 19:32:03 PDT 2002

In a message dated 09/23/2002 9:06:28 PM Central Daylight Time, bsheppard at bari.iww.org writes:

> Last May I was downtown (Dallas)
> and saw several Arthur Andersen employees on lunch break. they were
> wearing orange t-shirts that said "I AM ARTHUR ANDERSEN" on them. I don't
> know if these were high-level employees or lower level peons, but I
> thought it was pretty disgusting, regardless. I felt bad for the workers
> that had to work in such an environment, who perhaps did not want to go
> along with such "team spirit," but felt pressured to do so because of fear
> of getting fired or reprimanded.
>
> How's that for an unscientific, personal anecdote, by the way?
>

> Anti-cultishly,
>
> Brian

Speaking of unscientific, personal anecdotes, at a company where I worked years ago, there was considerable pressure to attend "social" events such as softball games and picnics put on by the higher-ups. The first time they announced one of these things, I demurred. I didn't mean anything by it--just wasn't my cup of tea, that's all. My boss called me into his office several times to "strongly recommend" that I attend. That got my back up, and I refused, that time and on future occasions. Lasted there about two years.

Jacob Conrad