left/right cults (was re: Lefty Despair)

Kendall Clark kendall at monkeyfist.com
Mon Sep 23 19:55:11 PDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 08:52:44PM -0700, Brian O. Sheppard x349393 wrote:

> Well, this is something I saw that was - you have to admit - fairly cult
> like, and had to do with Arthur Andersen. Last May I was downtown (Dallas)
> and saw several Arthur Andersen employees on lunch break. they were
> wearing orange t-shirts that said "I AM ARTHUR ANDERSEN" on them. I don't
> know if these were high-level employees or lower level peons, but I
> thought it was pretty disgusting, regardless. I felt bad for the workers
> that had to work in such an environment, who perhaps did not want to go
> along with such "team spirit," but felt pressured to do so because of fear
> of getting fired or reprimanded.
>
> How's that for an unscientific, personal anecdote, by the way?

My memory is that just about everyone involved in that "protest" (yes, it was a huge joke *as a protest*, since street protest presupposes one has no other avenues of expression and communication, which Andersen certainly did; the "protests" were meaningless, given that pro-Andersen full page ads were being published around that time in national newspapers) in Dallas was assuming, at that point, that Andersen as an ongoing entity was doomed, i.e., no one participated under fear of being fired or reprimanded since most were assuming that it was merely a matter of time before the whole thing went into the toilet for good. Less than half of the 1300+ Dallas Andersen employees participated, far from mandatory.

Given the gossip I heard and postings I read on Andersen intranet, most people seemed to participate because they were upset with the public characterizations of Andersen as a fundamentally crooked, dishonest organization, since they thought, rightly so, that the vast majority of Andersen employees were honest, ordinary workers. (In my view the problems at Andersen *were* systematic, and the vast majority of its workers, being effectively powerless to set or influence policy, were honest, ordinary workers.)

One thing that did bother me about the "protest" you describe is the level of local media coverage it got, massive in comparison to the non-coverage of the various antiglobalization, anti-INS, antiracist, antiwar protests that've happened here, as you know full well. :>

And, fwiw, while I prefer black to orange tshirts as a matter of style (or lack thereof), seeing a group of corporate workers arrayed in matching tshirts strikes me as neither more nor less cultic than seeing a group of anarchists all dressed similarly. And, yes, before you offer the obvious retort, I agree that whether a group of anarchists dresses similarly has little, if anything to do with the quality of their activism, protest, dissent, or the like. But it's probably just as hazardous to make assumptions about the degree of coercion in, say, the Andersen example as it is in the anarchist case. Human beings, at least as I understand them to be socialized in Western contexts, tend to reflect a sense of group membership in things like clothes, personal grooming, etc. That seems to reflect some real human need, and I'm not sure that it is problematic *per se*.

Kendall Clark