Will The Real March Please Stand Up?

rickling at softhome.net rickling at softhome.net
Tue Sep 24 09:34:18 PDT 2002

Chuck's pretty much correct. We did have a proposal, which was defeated, a couple of months ago to add a "fifth demand" against the war (in Afghanistan) to the four we have of the World Bank and IMF. Many -- not just the "professional" activists -- thought that such a proposal would hinder MGJ's ability to build alliances with other groups. Many also felt that there were other organizations and coalitions in DC which were better suited to anti-war organizing (such as DAWN, the DC Anti-War Network).

We're having a joint demo today, with DC Jobs with Justice and HERE Local 25, at the Ronald Reagan International Trade Center (3:30 pm at 13th St. and Penn Ave. NW) in support of Local 25's organizing drive and in support of Dawn Caby, a Reagan Building worker who was fired for trying to organize her fellow workers. The focus of the rally will be to link local and global issues and struggles. It's doubtful that we could have organized such an event had we taken an anti-war stance.

mark

www.globalizethis.org