'Bring it down' was about a car, students' lawyer says

Steven Hertzberg stevenstevensteven at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 24 10:14:56 PDT 2002

Below is some additional information on the story of 3 American Muslim students who were stopped by the Police in Florida two-weeks ago. As you may recall, a woman at a Shoneys restaurant in Georgia overheard the students talking and called the Police, fearing that the students might be concocting a terrorist plot.

It turned out that the students were on there way to Larkin Community Hospital in south Florida where they were to participate in a medical school rotation and there was no evidence to support any of the woman's claims.

In addition, it was widely reported in the press that Larkin Community Hospital had "asked the students to transfer somewhere else after receiving numerous threats." I wrote to Larkin Hospital's CEO and have received the following response:

-----Original Message----- From: PR [mailto:PR at larkinhospital.com] Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 1:49 PM Subject: In response to your letter

September 22, 2002

As a community hospital, we appreciate and value your input and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your views. Due to the misinformation and inaccurate reports by the media, many people were under the misconception that these students were "fired" or "kicked out" of their medical program. The medical training of Ayman Gheith, Kambiz Butt, and Omar Choudhary has never been in question, nor postponed or interrupted in any way; they have simply been reassigned to an alternate location. We have been working together with the students from the beginning of this ordeal to relocate them to other facilities to assure their safety, the safety of our patients, and the ability of our hospital to provide excellent patient care.

This is a medical school rotation, not an internship as has been incorrectly reported. They were never fired. Nor were they ever dismissed from the program by their university. Larkin Community Hospital is in full support of these students' medical education. This rotation involves lectures and rotations at clinics. They were originally scheduled to be at the auditorium at Larkin for classroom lectures, not to work in the hospital. The entire class has simply been relocated to an auditorium at a different location.

Inaccurate media coverage has generated a significant amount of ill will towards the hospital triggering over 5,000 emails, phone calls, and faxes some of which have been disturbing. This interferes with our ability to provide the high quality of patient care to which we are committed. We cannot and will not jeopardize the care of these patients nor their safety--this is our first priority.

We are a hospital-a place where people come to seek medical care--not just a place of business. This is not the place to make a statement that will risk people's lives, but a place to care for patients. This has always been understood and supported by the medical students, themselves, who appreciate our concern for patient care and safety. Yet, media reports and other correspondence declared me and the hospital to be "racist," "biased," "un-American," "coward," "abhorrent," and even "the real terrorists." Many went even further and sentenced us to "deserving" various forms of punishment both on earth and in the afterlife.

Many people asked us to "look at the facts" and to "not pass summary judgement" based on media reports. So I ask you to follow this advice: look at the facts and do not pass summary judgement based on inaccurate media reports.

>From the start of this misfortunate incident, we have maintained the
same position. This was and continues to be the only solution that would both protect the students and allow them to continue their medical education while at the same time assuring the safety of our patients and our ability to provide excellent healthcare. I am personally involved in and committed to ensuring Ayman, Kambiz, and Omar get the best medical experience and education possible.

Dr. Jack Michel Chairman and CEO Larkin Community Hospital

-----End of Message-----

_________________________________ Steven Hertzberg

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com] On Behalf Of Steven Hertzberg Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 10:38 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: 'Bring it down' was about a car, students' lawyer says

Even innocence has its costs for American Muslims.

Larkin Hospital (where the medical students were to participate in a 9-week internship) has asked the students to transfer somewhere else after receiving numerous threats.

If you would like to contact the hospital you may reach them at:

Larkin Community Hospital (http://www.larkinhospital.com/)

Jack J. Michel, M.D. President & C.E.O. <jmichel at larkinhospital.com>

Frank Palacios Public Relations <fpalacios at larkinhospital.com>

"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men." - Abraham Lincoln

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com] On Behalf Of Cian Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 7:29 AM To: LBO_TALK Subject: 'Bring it down' was about a car, students' lawyer says

Does anyone know any more about this. It sounds pretty outrageous, especially as they lost their internships over this. If you're Muslim, guilty until proven innocent.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/09/15/fla.terror.students/index.html

and

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/09/17/fla.students.talk/index.html