A response to prof ratting: turn yourself in

RE earnest at tallynet.com
Wed Sep 25 06:22:43 PDT 2002

I sub to a sociology list, and this is what they've been discussing and acting on (I've stripped the contributors' names). Randy ------------------------------------------

This approach, of stepping forward to say, "Me, too" in solidarity with those now singled out on the web site, has also been suggested on the political science "perestroika" list, as well as the Cornell Forum for Peace and Justice. I too will join the members of these groups who have already written campuswatch to "turn themselves in" as critics of present Israeli policies.

[snip] As you may already know, Daniel Pipes and his Middle East Forum have established a "Campus Watch" to monitor teaching and other activity relating to the Middle East on campuses. www.campus-watch.org Several individuals and institutions, including Stanford, have been "targeted." Judith Butler of UC Berkeley has suggested that colleagues who object to this McCarthyite-style practice step forward and identify themselves in solidarity with those named on the web site. Here is the text of the message she sent to them info at campus-watch.org:

"I have recently learned that your organization is compiling dossiers on professors at U.S. academic institutions who oppose the Israeli occupation and its brutality, actively support Palestinian rights of self-determination as well as a more informed and intelligent view of Islam than is currently represented in the U.S. media. I would be enormously honored to be counted among those who actively hold these positions and would like to be included in the list of those who are struggling for justice during these times."

[snip]