Kerry-McCain in '04?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 25 08:29:53 PDT 2002

New York Post [Page Six] - September 25, 2002

McCain mutiny in works?

IS Sen. John McCain going to quit the Republican Party and become the running mate of Sen. John Kerry in the 2004 presidential race? McCain's chief political adviser, John Weaver, has become a Democrat and is now working for Dick Gephardt. McCain's new legislative director, Christine Dodd, last worked for a liberal congressman - a Democrat. Now Kerry of Massachusetts, who has made clear his plans to run in 2004, is making overtures towards McCain. A rumored head-to-head between Kerry and McCain is said to be scheduled at McCain's cabin in Sedona, Ariz., next month. And for "Man of the People," the new McCain biography by Paul Alexander, Kerry provided a blurb that reads more like a love letter. After noting that McCain's 2000 presidential campaign "set the standard for honor, dignity, courage, and truth," Kerry declares: "I have had no greater privilege in all my life than finding and then standing on common ground with John McCain, and I look forward to fighting side by side with him on yet another day to make our country stronger."