Nathan and Imperialsim

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 25 11:29:08 PDT 2002

Apropos the popular appeal of the word "imperalism" - there's a lot of evidence that the U.S. public doesn't like it (not, of course, that it's up to them to decide, so no lectures please on the limits of bourgeois democracy). Elite opinion leaders are always worrying about the masses' indifference to foreign policy - they have to be scared into going along. So I wouldn't misunderestimate, as our president once said, the popular appeal of a critique of empire.

Doug