Herman on Hitchens/Bush

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Sep 25 13:50:08 PDT 2002

> Dennis,
>
> Could you provide list members with citations in which Edward
> Herman defends the people you mention? Otherwise, you're just
> throwing dirt at critics who don't share your support of state
> violence, including that the US.
>
> Mark

I never said that Herman was friends with any of those thugs. That was Hitch's claim. I merely mentioned that the lister left off Milosevic, who Herman has not, to my memory, really critiqued. That doesn't make Herman a Milosevic defender, of course; but he (along with pal Diana Johnstone) didn't seem very bothered by Milosevic and his actions in Bosnia, and worked overtime to show that ethnic cleansing and mass murder wasn't unique to the Serb leader, which is true. But if you can find me a piece where Herman really rips Milosevic a new one, I'd be happy to reassess my view.

DP