Nathan and Imperialism (popular poll results)

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Sep 25 19:19:25 PDT 2002

Apropos the popular appeal of the word "imperalism" - there's a lot of evidence that the U.S. public doesn't like it.... Doug

-----------

Well, this morning I decided to conduct a poll of my own. In the shop the question of the day for customers and fellow workers was, what does Imperialism mean? Nobody was shy, nobody was offended, most people laughed. Ah, Chuck's at it again. In any event here are the answers:

1. Imperialism is seeking world domination. (Julie M. Jill L.)

2. Imperialism is capitalism. (Joe Mc)

3. Imperialism is like ancient China. (Debbie E)

4. Imperialism is people with a lot of money forcing their trip on

other people. (Larry H)

5. Imerialism is capitalism that has expanded its national boundaries

to seek larger markets. (Kitty C.)

So, out here in wheelchair repair land, according to this evidence there isn't a thing wrong with the word Imperialism and it seems easily identified with the United States, corporate America, and US foreign policy. I didn't not mention Iraq or the middle east or anything. Just the straight up question.

Obviously the bias is strongly liberal to outright radical, since the last example (5) was from a former Trotskite who immediately suggested that I read Lenin's pamphlet on imperialism---thinking I suppose I was asking for guidance...

I should add the usual qualifications for polls. I ask the people present, who seemed in a good enough mood not to mind, and when I had enough time to listen to the answer and not work.

I understand this is completely meaningless. Nevertheless, it was concrete, done today, face to face. First answer that comes to mind. This is not a test or anything, just your opinion, etc. etc...

Chuck Grimes