Hitch's nervous breakdown

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Thu Sep 26 18:17:37 PDT 2002

--quick, someone call Condi, Hitch has got the goods on Saddam and Al Qaeda. Or Hitch is having a nervous breakdown...hard to call this one... ----- Or it's an inconvenient truth. Condi and Rummy already started saying this, not that we should take them at their word....

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/26/politics/26CND-MILI.html Rumsfeld Speaks of Evidence Linking Iraq and Al Qaeda By DAVID STOUT

WASHINGTON, Sept. 26 — Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld scoffed today at Iraq's assertions that it is not developing weapons of mass destruction, and he said again that there was hard evidence of ties between that country and Al Qaeda.

"We do have solid evidence of the presence in Iraq of Al Qaeda members, including some that have been in Baghdad," Mr. Rumsfeld said a regular Pentagon briefing. "We have what we consider to be very reliable reporting of senior-level contacts going back a decade, and of possible chemical- and biological-agent training."

Mr. Rumsfeld went on to say that reports of contacts between Iraq and Al Qaeda had been increasing since 1998. He did not explain the relevance to that date, although in August of that year two United States embassies in Africa were bombed by terrorists, killing more than 250 people and wounding thousands.

The secretary said the United States had gleaned "what we believe to be credible information" that Iraq and Al Qaeda members had discussed "safe haven opportunities in Iraq, reciprocal nonaggression discussions." He said the United States also had evidence that Al Qaeda leaders had sought contacts in Iraq for help in getting weapons of mass destruction.

Asked whether there is evidence that "senior Al Qaeda" members are now in Iraq, perhaps even in Baghdad, Mr. Rumsfeld said there was evidence that terrorists had been in the Iraqi capital, but he did not offer any details.

The Bush administration has repeatedly accused the regime of Saddam Hussein of being sympathetic toward international terrorists and of exulting in the terror attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. But the administration has never accused Iraq of helping to plan or carry out those attacks.

Mr. Rumsfeld, newly returned from NATO meetings in Warsaw, was asked whether he had seen intelligence that would link Saddam Hussein to Sept. 11. "I didn't address that," Mr. Rumsfeld replied.

The questioner persisted: "Have you seen any, or is there any intelligence that Saddam Hussein has any ties to Sept. 11?"

"I think I've probably said what I'd like to say about Al Qaeda and Iraq," Mr. Rumsfeld said.

The secretary is invariably circumspect in dealing with reporters and has cautioned them in the past not to infer too much.

He also said an inescapable problem with intelligence gathering is that "it's gathered at a moment, and then that moment passes, and then there's the next moment and the moment after that."