Christian scholars say no war

Bradford DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 26 18:01:56 PDT 2002

> > The U.S. nukings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were as much terrorist
>> acts as anything else. I think they were justified terrorist
>> acts--they succeeded in bringing an end to the Japanese militarist
>> government, and did so with a much lower butcher's bill than any
>> conceivable invasion of Honshu. But that doesn't change their
>> character...
>
>This assumes that it would have been implausible to end the war without
>either dropping the nukes or doing a full scale invasion of Japan. Many
>current historians don't feel that's a safe assumption.
>
>Barry

Assuming--in 1945--that the war could be ended some other way would seem to be an even less safe assumption. Japan could not have launched the war. Japan could have surrendered after Midway. Japan could have surrendered after Guadalcanal. Japan could have surrendered after Saipan. Japan could have surrendered after the Marianas. Japan could have surrendered after the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Japan could have surrendered after the conquest of Iwo Jima. Japan could have surrendered after the conquest of Okinawa.

The Japanese military government didn't.

So I've never seen how the alternative strategy--which seems to involve simply mopping up the Japanese army in China and waiting for the Japanese generals and admirals to surrender--is supposed to have worked.

Brad DeLong