Carpet wars

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Fri Sep 27 04:50:32 PDT 2002

OutLookIndia.com

September 30, 2002

REVIEW

Frontier Rugs Through the magical metaphor of carpets, Kremmer does a fine job of chronicling the decline of a once-fabled region.

SIDDHARTH VARADARAJAN

THE CARPET WARS: A JOURNEY ACROSS THE ISLAMIC HEARTLANDS by Christopher Kremmer HARPER COLLINS PAGES: 448; RS 595

Let me put my cards on the table and begin by confessing to a tinge of jealousy. With the exception of Balkh and Tajikistan, I have reported from all the 'exotic' places Christopher Kremmer has written about: Kabul, Kandahar, Herat, Peshawar, Kashmir, Iran and Iraq. But when I look at my notebooks full of barely legible, now obscure political details with a shelf-life of a few newspaper stories, I can only marvel at the meticulous manner in which Kremmer documented every waking moment he spent on assignment.

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20020930&fname=Booksb&sid=1