"Hitchens' nervous breakdown"

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Fri Sep 27 06:45:05 PDT 2002

I don't really have a horse in this race, since Hitchens no longer appears in the Evening Standard, and I don't read the Nation, but is the resignation of a newspaper columnist really an appropriate occasion for people being so bloody nasty? It strikes me that if the guy has a drinking problem, or if he's had a breakdown, it's pretty bad taste to be gloating about it; if he hasn't, it's probably libellous.

I seem to remember that I used to be pretty unpleasant about Paul Krugman back in the day, and I fully recognise that a columnist you don't like can be extraordinarily annoying, but the Hitchens-hate thing seems to have taken it to a whole new level. This is all about the supergrass thing, isn't it?

Yours Sanctimoniously,

dd