Anti-Imperialism 101 Re: Hitchens quits Nation

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 27 11:42:07 PDT 2002

At 1:23 PM -0400 9/27/02, Nathan Newman wrote:
>I still think Barney Frank had the most succinct statement of the biggest
>difference between the Vietnam War and more recent conflicts. Ho Chi Minh
>was on the right side back then. Today's tyrants aren't, so the issue of
>war is more ambiguous, much more balancing the costs of wars against the
>gains of displacing the thugs. But that is a pragmatic empirical
>calculation, not the moral high-ground the Left had with the Vietnam War and
>many other colonialism struggles.

The main reason for opposing US imperialism is that _it is against the interest of workers in the USA_; the character of this or that leader, party, movement, etc. that the US empire considers its foremost enemy at any given moment is at most one of the secondary considerations.

Marx wrote:

***** I have become more and more convinced-and it is only a question of driving this conviction home to the English working class - that it can never do anything decisive here in England until it separates its policy with regard to Ireland most definitely from the policy of the ruling classes, until it not only makes common cause with the Irish but even takes the initiative in dissolving the Union established in 1801 and replacing it by a free federal relationship. And this must be done, not as a matter of sympathy with Ireland but as a demand made in the interests of the English proletariat. If not, the English people will remain tied to the leading-strings of the ruling classes, because it will have to join with them in a common front against Ireland....

<http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1869/letters/69_11_29.htm> *****

As Marx said about the English people, the American people, too, will politically amount to nothing as long as they "remain tied to the leading-strings of the ruling class," always joining the American power elite in a common front against Iraq and other nations and movements. -- Yoshie