"Hitchens' nervous breakdown"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 27 12:15:06 PDT 2002

At 12:32 PM -0400 9/27/02, Dennis Perrin wrote:
>>we're talking about a writer who slandered the holy hell out of
>>people like Noam Chomsky in the aftermath of 911 with claims that
>>he and others like him supported Al Qaeda as a liberating
>>force...yada yada yada...
>
>Chomsky's first public takes after 9/11 were clunkish at best -- his worst
>effort yet, and I say this as one who's held Chomsky in high regard and who
>publicly defended him against slanderous attacks from the likes of Jonathan
>Alter. But his robotic approach to the deaths of thousands in Manhattan was
>dreadful, as was his immediate attempt to shift the focus to Clinton's
>bombing in Sudan. There was a lack of humane feeling to his initial

Suppose Chomsky had chosen a different example that you thought more apt and delivered it with a tone that you approved of. That would not have changed your and Hitchens' support for the war on Afghanistan, as you two's convictions, I believe, are neither thoughtlessly adopted nor lightly held. Sometimes, people who used to be on the same political side part company, developing substantial political differences in the face of changed politico-economic conditions, which, for all his erudition, Chomsky as an individual cannot undo. -- Yoshie