Anti-Imperialism 101 Re: Hitchens quits Nation

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Sep 27 21:53:27 PDT 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

>As far as the South was concerned, the North had as much right to send in
>troops as the UN has to send troops into Iraq.

The "South" was in open armed rebellion and fired the first shots. No-one, least of all the Bushes, Senior and Junior, ever proposed that the UN send troops into Iraq (one of my many major criticisms of Gorbachev is that he signed a blank check to Bush Senior instead of insisting that the UN deal with the Kuwait crisis in terms of the procedures set forth under Article 7 of the UN charter).

>But then what do the vagaries of nationalist history have to do with the
>justice of fighting for democracy?
>
>--
Bush Junior is, if anything, even less likely than the butcher Sadam Hussein to ever be "fighting for democracy."

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64