Anti-Imperialism 101 Re: Hitchens quits Nation

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 28 07:16:11 PDT 2002

> > Iraq has never been part of the United States, unlike the US South.
> > See, tortuous support for US imperialism not only corrupts political
> > discourse here but also history and geography.
>
>As far as the South was concerned, the North had as much right to send in
>troops as the UN has to send troops into Iraq.
>
>But then what do the vagaries of nationalist history have to do with the
>justice of fighting for democracy?

Firstly, Nathan, you and I, anyway, are patriots if not (I hope) national chauvinists, so the answer is, for us, a great deal, even if not for Yoshie. In the second place, democracy is amtter of self rule; we considered the Soutyh part of us, even if they didn't, and the war was to settle whether they were. As Lincoln said in frustration when Meade, after beating Lee at Gettysburg, rejoiced at having driven the invaders from "our soil," "When will I bring these generals to understand that the whole country is 'our soil.'" Not swo with Iraq. Iraqi democracy is for the Iraqis to settle. It's that simple. We have no right to invade Britain because we think a constitional system is more democratic than a parlaimentary one, and no business generally goping around installing whatw e think of democracy all over the place. Don't you see that there is no stopping on your theory? jks