Rashid: Afghanistan Imperiled

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 28 09:56:57 PDT 2002

Todd Archer wrote:

> That and other points Rashid notes seem to point to your tar baby scenario
> developing nicely so far, Carrol.

:-)

Does anyone remember a Pete Singer song about "beans in your nose" -- I can't remember it very well, but it too may have some relevance to the current situation of the U.S. in the Middle East and South Asia.

Another of my earliest responses to 9/11 was that I was worried it would provides support for those political currents that believe in terrorism -- and I agree with the orthodox Marxist condemnation of terrorism as a strategy or tactic. And so far 9/11 is proving an extremely effective tactic for AQ and other reactionary forces in the Arab world. I am amazed that those like Hitchens, Nathan, DP don't see that they are stuffing beans up their nose.

Carrol