War, Deflation, and the Three Bears

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Sep 28 10:07:49 PDT 2002

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>> Dennis Redmond probably has in his mind, when he extolls East Asian
>> developmental states, Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan, some
>> coastal areas of China, and maybe Malaysia.
>
>Developmental states? Are there many "non-developmental states" in Asia?
>Perhaps someone can provide some criteria to identify "developmental
>states".
>
>Ulhas

The "developmental state" isn't a useful term in my view. I was simply trying to paraphrase Redmond posts on the subject in the above. There is a strain of thinking that attributes faster rises in GDP per capita and other conventional indices of economic development mainly to "developmental states" (which are seldom precisely defined -- most often, they are implicitly defined tautologically as states of nations that have experienced rapid economic development). Not my view. Other things being equal, we may see what difference state economic policy does or doesn't make, but other things are not equal. -- Yoshie