Anti-Imperialism 101 Re: Hitchens quits Nation

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 28 13:22:11 PDT 2002

>Of course not. We should even go a step further and ensure that peoples in
>states like Iraq honor their contracts with Hobbesian tyrants. I'm stunned
>to see this sort of relativism with regard to democracy (conjoined with a
>slippery slope argument) emanating from your keyboard.
>
>-- Luke

There's no relativism about democracy from me. I regard it as the besty form of government, and I hope everybody chooses it. I just don't think that having it gives you the right any sense of the term to impose it on others--supposedly. Even if that is what the US would do, which there is plenty of reason to doubt. Let the democracy we impose make choices that threaten the US's perceived economic and strategic interests and you'll see how short that chain is. The slippery slope argument is quite obvious and no fallacy here. Why stop at Iraq? Let's spread democracy everywhere--except for course to our god friends the Saudis and the Pakistanis and . . . .

jks