The nature of anarchism (Lefty Despair etc.)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 28 15:21:08 PDT 2002

If there is hope, it cannot possibly be in
>continuing to follow and obey the sociopathy of power, of
>death, terror and destruction, that is, the works of the State.

Well, there's a lot of that that is private too. And the state also provides roads and bridges and medical care and postal service and education and social security and support for the arts and conflict resolution forums and security from private and even public predators.

>State systems, including democratic ones, are not going to
>work, because they are based on coercion and violence,

Mostly democratic systems do not operate that way.

>By a process of elimination, we arrive at anarchy, that is,
>freedom, and the question is not whether anarchy is preferable
>to some other system, but simply how to achieve it,

A false dilemma. Democarcy is an immense improvement over previosu state systems, and many people have found any state preferable to none, where all at at the mercy of all.

But I don't see
>much of anything good or salvageable in the existing
>superstructure and so it is quite true that I don't give any
>thought to institutional incentives to obtain compliance or
>anything else. The point is to get rid of the prison, not
>spruce it up.

Well, I don't see it that way. But this is a fundamental disagreement.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx