Anti-Imperialism 101 Re: Hitchens quits Nation

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Sep 28 15:34:52 PDT 2002

At 2:03 PM -0700 9/28/02, Luke Weiger wrote:
> > We have no right to invade Britain because we think a
>> constitional system is more democratic than a parlaimentary one,
>
>Set aside the rights talk. Invading Britain would be a disaster because a)
>a lot (i.e. perhaps millions) of people would die and b) it's damn near
>impossible to locate the likely positive consequences that would ensue from
>such action.

Since the Second World War, the United States has never gone to war with states whose military capability could even remotely come close to its own. If Iraq, like the USSR, actually had weapons of mass destruction with which it could realistically threaten the USA, we wouldn't be hearing all this impatient talk of invasion from the US power elite who have always preferred to attack Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Libya, Panama, Sudan, Afghanistan, and the like which couldn't retaliate. -- Yoshie