The nature of anarchism (Lefty Despair etc.)

topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Sat Sep 28 18:14:17 PDT 2002

On 29/9/2002 10:09 AM, "lbo-talk-digest" <owner-lbo-talk- digest at lists.panix.com> wrote:

> If you accept that existing society is a class society, then you ought to
> understand what that means. It means, as the preamble to the constitution of
> the IWW puts it, "There can be no peace so long as hunger and want are found
> among millions of the working people and the few, who make up the employing
> class, have all the good things of life. Between these two classes a
struggle
> must go on..."
>
> The simple truth expressed here is that class distinction creates an
> irreconcilable conflict of interest. And yes, along the way it also
brutalises
> and stunts members of the working class, both physically and mentally.
>
> Bill Bartlett
> Bracknell Tas.

Don't you find it even remotely likely that there might be irreconcilable differences which do not reduce to class differences?

And this does not really need to be a matter of logically contradictory positions. Reconciliation might not be something people are emotionally or socially disposed to do; and that's fine in many situations. Surely this is something which we would desire our political system to allow. More importantly, reconciliation might fail a 'cost benefit' analysis: The gains from reconciling parties might be much less impressive than the time and effort reconciliation will require.

Thiago

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP: www-mail.usyd.edu.au