FW: [object-relations] 'Psychoanalysis, Terrorism and Fundamentalism' by Robert M. Young

Christopher Rhoades Dykema crdbronx at erols.com
Sat Sep 28 18:50:19 PDT 2002

This fairly lengthy piece (22-23 pages) is a follow-up to one the same author distributed in September, 2001. It was originally a lecture, so is somewhat colloquial, but at the same time uses very sophisticated psychodynamic concepts to illuminate the phenomenon of fundamentalism, of various sorts.

Young is originally from Dallas, Texas, but has spent most of his active life in England, where he is a psychoanalyst and social scientist. He is quite progressive and is an interesting example of the synthesis of Marx and Freud. Interestingly, he refers to Eugene Victor Wolfenstein, who ought to be better known.

Young himself seems to have been raised in a fundamentalist Presbyterian church. In one of his pieces he describes people in the milieu he lived in as a young man cheering at the assassination of JFK.

Christopher Rhoades Dykema

-----Original Message----- From: Robert Maxwell Young [mailto:robert at rmy1.demon.co.uk] Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 04:32 AM To: object-relations at yahoogroups.com Subject: [object-relations] 'Psychoanalysis, Terrorism and Fundamentalism' by Robert M. Young

'Psychoanalysis, Terrorism and Fundamentalism' 80K http://human-nature.com/rmyoung/papers/pap139.html

I was asked again this year to give a keynote talk to the distance learning MA students in Psychoanalytic Studies at Sheffield University a year after 9/11. It was suggested that I should revamp my talk on 'Fundamentalism and Terrorism' of a year earlier, but I felt that it was very much of the moment, so I drew on parts of it but centred my remarks on what psychoanalysis has to say to help us understand matters above the individual level, including fundamentalism and terrorism. You could say that I reversed the order of priority from that of the earlier paper and said rather more about the psychoanalytic theory. The paper is also more reflective, but there is still urgency, since we are on the brink of war with Iraq, and reflection is just as much at a premium in the heat of this fraught historical moment as it was in the wake of the attacks on New York and Washington and the failed attack that crashed in Pennsylvania.

Archive of writings at http://human-nature.com/rmyoung/papers Web site containing several large archives of books, papers and guides to the Internet at http://human-nature.com/

Robert Maxwell Young, Prof. Emeritus of Psychotherapy & Psychoanalytic Studies, Centre for Psychotherapeutic Studies, Univ. of Sheffield, http://www.shef.ac.uk/~psysc/ Co-Director, Bulgarian Institute of Human Relations & Honoured Prof., New Bulgarian Univ., Sofia. http://www.nbu.bg/bihr/psy.htm Home: 26 Freegrove Rd., London N7 9RQ. tel. +44 207 607 8306 Private Practice, Consultation, Supervision Web Site & Writings http://www.human-nature.com r.m.young at sheffield.ac.uk, robert at rmy1.demon.co.uk 'One must imagine Sisyphus happy.' - Camus Please put 'Message for Robert Young' in the Subject line.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Sell a Home for Top $ http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/MVfIAA/xYTolB/TM ---------------------------------------------------------------------~->