The nature of anarchism (Lefty Despair etc.)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 29 08:26:29 PDT 2002

Justin Schwartz wrote:

> And the
> >"constabulary" of old was in many ways more a neighborhood than a
> >"state" function (not all constables being as stupid as portrayed in
> >Shakespeare). You would move towards that, and away from state power as
> >we know it, simply by requiring police to reside in the same areas they
> >policed.
>
> Many municipalities require this--Chicago requires cops to live in the city,
> much good that it does.

Uh-uh. I said _neighborhoods_, not municipality. They have to live next door to the family of the man they do or don't beat up in the station. I'm not arguing whether or not it would work in some future world, I'm merely pointing out that it would be a different kind of police power if it _did_ work.

Carrol