NYC antiwar demo, 10/6

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Sep 29 08:53:46 PDT 2002

Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 10:18:07 -0500 From: Leslie Cagan <lesliecagan at igc.org>

Please feel free to share with others. -------------------------------------------------

On Sunday, October 6th I will join with others in what hopefully will be a massive demonstration of opposition to the drive toward war. NOT IN OUR NAME grew out of the insane and horrifying direction the so-called leaders of this nation are taking us, and the rest of the world - war against Iraq, war at any time against any country in the name of fighting terrorism, repression and racism at home.

There has already been a great deal of work done on this timely and important protest, including a battle with the city for the permit. But as we all know, there is no such thing as too much organizing. I plan to do all I can to get as many people as possible to participate in the rally next Sunday. I hope you will be there - and that you too will spread the word.

Below is the call for the demonstration, with the details of time and location. Please send this out to all of your email lists as soon as possible. Also, in order to secure the park permit the organizers were forced to hire more people to work the sound and stage. They need as much financial assistance as you can give. Please send a tax-deductible contribution today to: IFCO/NION and send to NION c/o WILPF, 339 Lafayette St., NY, NY 10012.

Bring your banners and signs, bring your friends and family, bring your commitment to stopping this madness. See you on Sunday, October 6th in Central Park!!

Leslie Cagan _____________________________________

WAR ON THE WORLD? NOT IN OUR NAME!!

Sunday, Oct. 6, 1-5 p.m. Central Park East Meadow (96th and 5th Avenue), NYC

For a year the bombs have been falling on Afghanistan, and now they're preparing for full-scale war on Iraq. The U.S. has spread its troops all over the globe and has drawn up a list of over 60 countries for possible military actions. Immigrants have been rounded up for interrogation, detention and deportation. Civil liberties have been slashed, secret, military courts have been set up, and they're trying to create a nation of snitches.

Right now as they prepare for their war on Iraq and other horrors, they need us passive, intimidated and silent.

You wonder, when will someone step out and say NO!

This is our chance! The world needs to hear from us. Our message needs to be heard everywhere, from the White House to people all over the planet. We must break ranks and resist!

Together in one voice, from New York City, "ground zero", we will declare to the people of the world that we are determined to oppose, resist and STOP the injustices done by our government in our name. We'll form an image of the world and take the Not in Our Name Pledge of Resistance. We'll be there - will you?

Some of those who'll be in Central Park October 6 are: Cynthia McKinney; actor and spoken word artist Saul Williams; attorney Lynne Stewart; filmmaker Mira Nair (Monsoon Wedding); Rev. Peter Laarman, Judson Memorial Church; actor/comedian Reno; Imam Talib Abdul-Rashid, Mosque of Islamic Brotherhood, Harlem; poet Vinie Burroughs; Leslie Cagan; Ken Estey and many more.

See www.notinourname.net, email info at notinourname.net or call 212-969-8058 for more information and to endorse.

Financial contributions are urgently needed. Contributions are tax-deductible. Make out checks to IFCO/NION and send to NION c/o WILPF, 339 Lafayette St., NY, NY 10012. __________________________________________________

Not In Our Name Pledge of Resistance

We believe that as people living in the United States It is our responsibility to resist the injustices done by our government, in our names

Not in our name will you wage endless war there can be no more deaths no more transfusions of blood for oil

Not in our name will you invade countries bomb civilians, kill more children letting history take its course over the graves of the nameless

Not in our name will you erode the very freedoms you've claimed to fight for

Not by our hands will we supply weapons and funding for the annihilation of families on foreign soil

Not by our mouths will we let fear silence us

Not by our hearts will we allow whole peoples or countries to be deemed evil

Not by our will and Not in our name

We pledge resistance We pledge alliance with those who have come under attack for voicing opposition to the war or for their religion or ethnicity

We pledge to make common cause with the people of the world to bring about justice freedom and peace

Another world is possible and we pledge to make it real

See www.notinourname.net for more information about the Not in Our Name Project; contact us at info at notinourname.net or telephone 212-969-8058.