Anti-Imperialism 101 Re: Hitchens quits Nation

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 29 19:50:52 PDT 2002

>At one time, I believe, democracy -- _demokratia_ -- was
>supposed to mean power in the hands of the _demos_, the common
>people. Thus, the word does not describe the present state
>of affairs in the United States or any other major state of
>which I am aware, so the question of whether the United States
>government ought to impose it on anyone must be preceded by
>the question of how it could possibly do so, since it does
>not possess it or intend it for itself or anyone else in the
>first place. Indeed, one must doubt that the Brightest and
>Best have even given a passing thought as to how such a thing
>could be created.

Well, we have a democracy worth having, although it is exceedingly imperfect: what I (and most political theorists) call liberal democracy--universal suffrage, competitive (more or less) elections, extensive (if threatened) civil and political liberties. That's not to sneer at, since these advances were won by centuries of bloody struggle. But that's they key thing. We won these treasures by our own efforts. I think they are beyond price, but I don't think we can or should impose them on others, not because I think other ways of doing things (such as Sadam Hussein's) are just as good, far from it, but because that's not how one spreads democracy.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx