Cooper on Iraq & the peace movement

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Sep 30 13:59:57 PDT 2002

s-t-t at juno.com wrote:

> > PROTEST
> > A Smart Peace Movement Is MIA
> >
> > By MARC COOPER
> > Marc Cooper is a contributing editor to The Nation and
> > editor-at-large at the LA Weekly.
>
> > Likewise, an effective peace movement must get its story straight
> > on sanctions. Clark calls them "genocidal." But the entire American
> > left supported similar painful sanctions against the apartheid state of
> > South Africa. If the left is not for war against Hussein and is also
> > opposed to economic sanctions, what is it for?

This here leftist is against (a) utterly stupid references to "The Left" as though it were a unified personality and (2) U.S. doing _anything_ to Iraq. Anything the U.S. has done to Iraq or is about to do would lead to hanging 3/4 at least of the u.s. government (all three braches)if ordinary u.s. criminal law applied to them.

I don't really see the difference between Cooper and Alterman.

Carrol