workers of the world...relax

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 30 20:00:18 PDT 2002

>At 02:22 PM 09/30/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>>It's a real puzzle why the demand for a shorter work week has not caught
>>on
>>here in the US, >
>
>1) Because there's no large, organized labor movement?

Maybe it would be larger if it pushed for this.

>2) Because we're all "individuals" and feel that this "individualism" is
>threatened when we get together to fight for a common cause?

No doubt, but this is a idealist explanation.

>3) Because mindless overwork is easier than facing the "void"?

Waxing Heideggerian, are we, Joanne? Is the void less empty in France and Germany?

Have I told you that you are perfectly wonderful, brilliant, witty, and adorable, and probably beautiful too, though I have never seen you?

jks