Daschle eats his words, and then some

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 1 14:58:28 PST 2003

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Yes-- and one vote short of half of the House means you've got nothing. You
>can't even get a vote on a bill. As I've repeated, you want influence by
>progressives, elect more Democrats so they actually can control and set the
>agenda. Imagine a Congress where John Conyers ran the Judiciary Committee,
>Charlie Rangel ran Ways & Means, and so on.

You don't have nothing. You've got a big platform and a big budget. You can tie things up and fight relentlessly. The Reps did that as a minority party.

>Daschle gets to set the agenda in a negative way because he can block
>legislation with a filibuster, which he has repeatedly. He blocked ANWR,
>blocked judges, blocked the Dec. 2001 tax cut, blocked the bankruptcy bill,
>and so on.

Eh? The bankruptcy bill? I thought he'd resolved to move it through during his brief tenure as majority leader, to be frustrated by the pro-lifers.

Doug