[Lbo-talk] Madonna

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall at union.org.za
Tue Apr 1 19:08:25 PST 2003

(I used to have the lbo-talk email address in my auto fill, but now it doesn't seem to put the new one in...anyone know how to fix this? I tried clearing all forms in Internet Explorer--I am using XP--reply offlist with answer)

Madonna pulls US release of anti-war video Madonna has pulled the US release of her new video, which contained images of transvestite soldiers, Iraqi children and a grenade being lobbed at a lookalike of US President George W Bush.

Madonna announced her decision in a statement on her website, explaining the video to accompany her "American Life" song had been made before the start of the US-led invasion of Iraq.

"I do not believe it is appropriate to air it at this time," the statement said.

"Due to the volatile state of the world and out of sensitivity and respect to the armed forces, who I support and pray for.

"I do not want to risk offending anyone who might misinterpret the meaning of this video."

The US Internet news website Drudge Report, which said it had a copy of the video, called it "by far the most controversial work ever made by the artist".

Among the scenes were images of stealth bombers and missile launches interspersed with flashes of the US flag, while Madonna herself is shown urinating on a toilet, Drudge Report said.

Images of mushroom clouds are mixed with the innocent faces of Iraqi children, and Madonna uses a strong expletive before she pulls the pin on a grenade and lobs it at a Bush lookalike.

"I have written a song and created a video which expresses my feelings about our culture and values, and the illusions of what many people believe is the American dream, the perfect life," Madonna said before her decision to pull the video in the United States.

The video was an expression of "my wish to find an alternative to violence, to war and destruction ... It's me being ironic and tongue in cheek," she said.

"American Life" is the first single off Madonna's new album due for release later this month.

--- Sent from UnionMail Service [http://mail.union.org.za]