[Lbo-talk] Madonna

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 1 22:11:06 PST 2003

>From: "Kevin Robert Dean" <qualiall at union.org.za>
>
>Madonna pulls US release of anti-war video
>Madonna has pulled the US release of her new video, which
>contained images of transvestite soldiers, Iraqi children
>and a grenade being lobbed at a lookalike of US President
>George W Bush.

[I don't think it was the anti-war message. I believe the Immaterial Girl was worried about violating New York City's tough new anti-smoking laws. That grenade scene actually depicts graphic tobacco use. From the NY Times:]

In the final sequence Madonna tossed a grenade into the fashion-show audience, and it was caught by a George W. Bush look-alike, who flipped open its top to reveal it as a cigarette lighter and lighted a cigar with it.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/02/arts/music/02MADO.html>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail