[lbo-talk] Flogging a Dead Horse (was Hitch: Stay Strong)

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Wed Apr 2 13:48:12 PST 2003

-----Original Message-----

Mark Bennett <mab at straussandasher.com> wrote:

> Drink is a terrible thing.

Kevin Robert Dean

>Unless you are the "old man with the dark moustache and
>grey beard"--Then going around town with your buddy,
>breaking street lamps with rocks while likkered up produces some wonderful
works :)

True, but only to a point. By the time Hem got to Hitch's age, the booze had just about polished him off, hadn't it? There was "The Old Man and the Sea" around that time, but after that the well was pretty dry.

>Dennis Perrin

>This has become the standard knock against CH, and it's pretty tiresome.

I don't really think booze had anything to do with Hitchen's conversion, either. With the benefit of hindsight, you can see that this change had been coming for some time. Perhaps the discovery of his Jewish heritage awakened a slumbering neocon within that only needed the stimulus of 9/11 to burst forth in all its gruesome glory.