[lbo-talk] Flogging a Dead Horse (was Hitch: Stay Strong)

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Apr 2 14:45:29 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Willy Greenfields" <filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 4:05 PM Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Flogging a Dead Horse (was Hitch: Stay Strong)

> An all around awful Hitchens piece. My favorite
> response to Hitch's latest blow for democracy comes
> from Warblogger Watch:
>

> >>the fools who run today's Turkey couldn't even be
> >>bribed to act in their own self-interest.
> >
> >In a parliamentary democracy such as Turkey,
> Christopher,
> >those "fools" are, of course, the people. It gladdens
> me
> >to see you register such esteem for democracy, it,
> after
> >all, being the latest rationale/rationalization for
> the
> >current war.

I think I agree with the blogger's point, but there are (at least in theory) troublesome counterexamples. Let's suppose that Gore was elected president and somehow prominent Republicans in the House and Senate managed to turn public sentiment in favor a war with Iraq (the latter is, I'll admit, difficult to imagine: for better or worse, Americans only want to fight when their prez tells them to). If Gore resisted (which might also be hard to imagine), one would applaud him for doing so, right?

-- Luke