crank tax schemes (was Re: [lbo-talk] Flogging [...])

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Wed Apr 2 19:52:57 PST 2003

Doug wrote:
> I think I've mentioned this before, but after a Jerry Brown rally
> in NYC in 1992 (at which the Ramones performed, and during
> which Joey said "I never fucking voted in my fucking life but I'm
> fucking voting for fucking Jerry Brown, man!"), I stepped into a
> nearby bar and ran into CH, Andy Kopkind, Mike Tomasky, and a
> few other Nation types. I'd been fighting with Alexander Cockburn
> over Brown's Laffer-devised flat tax + VAT scheme,

Luke asked:
> Why would any progressive favor such a tax system?

Perhaps because progressives don't spend near as much effort in debating taxes as the right does. Most of the time is spent on the defensive. Max being a noteworthy exception, of course.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com