[lbo-talk] The general's revolt

LouPaulsen LouPaulsen at attbi.com
Thu Apr 3 10:00:03 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>

> http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030421&s=klare

Michael Klare writes, "By questioning the logic of the Administration plan, therefore, these officers are fulfilling their highest responsibility to the troops under their command and so deserve the support of the American people; the architects of that plan, however, deserve nothing but revulsion. "

Well, ummm... The actual demands of the 'revolting' generals are to have more troops in theatre and to have 'unrealistic' 'political' restrictions on their tactics and targeting (whose purpose is to limit civilian casualties and reduce the opprobrium visited on the US) lifted. That is, they want more freedom to commit war crimes with impunity. They don't want to "fight the war with one hand tied behind their backs" as they used to say in the VN days.

The fact that they are fighting with each other and opening up a public debate on the war plan gives us opportunities, and we're glad it's going on, but do we need to line up and support them as if they were Col. Dreyfus? I mean really.

LP