[lbo-talk] Pearl Jam front man beats up "Bush"

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 4 01:23:44 PST 2003

"Concert-goers head to exits after anti-Bush display"

By Mark Brown, Rocky Mountain News April 3, 2003

"Incensed fans walked out of Pearl Jam's concert Tuesday after lead singer Eddie Vedder impaled a mask of President Bush on a microphone stand, then slammed it to the stage. Most of Vedder's antiwar remarks earlier in the Pepsi Center show were greeted with mixed cheers and scattered boos. But dozens of angry fans walked out during the encore because of the macabre display with the Bush mask, which he wore for the song Bushleaguer, a Bush- taunting song from the band's latest album, Riot Act. "When he was sharing his political views in a fairly benign manner - supporting our troops, opposing policy - that's OK," said Keith Zimmerman, of Denver."

* * * * *

"It was like he decapitated someone in a primal ritual and stuck their head on a stick," Zimmerman said. "It kinda blows away the Dixie Chicks."

[You said it, Zimmy. Any relation to Bob I wonder?]

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/music/article/0,1299,DRMN_54_1860334,0 0.html