[lbo-talk] theory of luck

H. Curtiss Leung hncl at panix.com
Fri Apr 4 08:30:12 PST 2003

> I wonder what those darned 'vials of powder' will turn out to be.

They're the vials of crack that Giuliani and Al D'Amato bought up in Washington Heights back in the 1980's. This will be hailed as proof positive that NYC hates America, and that not only 9/11 but Rudy G's prostate cancer are linked to Saddam Hussein. In response to this, NYC cops are rushed to Baghdad, where they come upon Saddam Hussein in a darkened doorway in a bad, i.e., one with many broken windows, part of town, and let loose a fusillade of bullets nothing more than a pile of pulp. Giuliani, reinstated as mayor, claims this to be a vindication of his policies on an international level, and national attitude towards NYC does yet another 180 degree turn, and Rudy is swept into the White House with "powers that will make martial law seem like anarchy," to quote Angela Lansbury's character in _The Manchurian Candidate_, and starts to apply the broken window theory on an international and unilateral basis.

His first act is to award PFC Jessica Lynch the Medal of Honor. (See http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14879-2003Apr2.html for details) Members of Lynch's company to a one say that she is the "kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life."