[lbo-talk] Atlantic Monthly Editor Killed in Iraq

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Apr 4 09:04:21 PST 2003

Here's Sullivan's take:

"THE LOSS OF MIKE: I'm simply stunned by the news of Mike Kelly's death. He was a beautiful writer, a brave polemicist, a prickly, funny man, a superb editor, and a friend. He died in action, which is perhaps as he might have wanted it. I can't think of anything more to say right now in the moments after reading this awful news, except that please pray for his young family, his wonderful wife, and his wider family and friends. He was a great journalist and a good, good man. May he rest in peace."

This make sense: he and Kelly were Clinton- and Gore-haters at the New Republic, as well as fans of Pax Americana, Bush-style.

Don't tell me that "our" side is gonna cheer Kelly's death.

DP