[lbo-talk] theory of luck

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Fri Apr 4 10:34:11 PST 2003

At 12:12 PM 4/4/03 -0600, Carrol Cox wrote:
> > They were investigated. It was bullshit. There was increased activity
> in the
> > options because the share price was falling toward the strike
> price. This is
> > one of those old stories that never die.
> >

>In a world of 6 billion (and cultures highly individualized), or even in
>a nation of "only" 300 million, incredible impossible absolutely
>unbelievable amazing and astounding coincidences must happen 100s of
>times a day, and should never be used as evidence for anything.
>
>Carrol

you could earn a lot of money to fund the revo if you started working for Cochran!

Here's a quote at the beginning of the post I forwarded:

"The Theory of Luck

With regard to the 9/11 attacks, it has been said that the intelligence agencies have to be right 100% of the time and the terrorists only have to get lucky once. This explanation for the devastating attacks of September 11th, simple on its face, is wrong in its value. Because the 9/11 terrorists were not just lucky once: they were lucky over and over again. Allow me to illustrate. [she goes on to provide a long laundry list of things that she thinks went wrong--why US defenses didn't work] ... To me luck is something that happens once. When you have this repeated pattern of broken protocols, broken laws, broken communication, one cannot still call it luck.

If at some point we don't look to hold the individuals accountable for not doing their jobs properly then how can we ever expect for terrorists not to get lucky again?"

Now, you may not think she's radical enough. And she isn't. You may not approve of her goals--reforming government so that it does a job she thinks it should do.

but it doesn't follow that you should care so little about what you are responding to that you misrepresent the post i forwarded simply because you felt impelled to use it as a, uh, quilting point.

kelley

kelley