[lbo-talk] (Fwd) Support arrested Egyptian anti-war activists!

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Fri Apr 4 15:16:32 PST 2003

In a further attempt to silence dissent, the Egyptian government/military apparatus has begun a widespread round-up of human rights activist. Hundreds have been arrested under the pretext of removing leaders of an unauthorized anti-war demonstration, scheduled for this afternoon in Cairo, Egypt.

Among the detainees is well known activist, Dr. Ashraf El-Bayoumi. His wife, Dr. Soheir Morsy was also detained but then released. All the remaining detainees need your assistance. The heightened repression in Egypt comes as we in the US see our right to dissent continuously challenged. Your voice is desperately needed to ensure the safe return of all those detained. Don't let them down.

Please fax or email the following offices: You will have to retype the email address in the send to box. The hyperlink is not working. What you should emphasize is that the current detainees were attempting to attend a demonstration that was backed by court ruling when they were detained. While a number were released, some eleven remain in detention, including Dr. El-Bayoumi. Ask that all detainees be released and the Government of Egypt recognize and respect freedom of assembly and speech. Please act now; our anti-war friends are counting on it.

Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt 3521 International Court, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20008 Telephone: 202 895-5400 Fax 202 244-4319 Email: embassy at egyptembdc.org

General Habib al-'Adeli Minister of the Interior Ministry of the Interior Al-Sheikh Rihan Street Bab al-Louk, Cairo, EGYPT Fax 011 202 579 2031 Email: moi2 at idsc.gov.eg

His Excellency Mohammad Hosni Mubarak President of the Arab Republic of Egypt 'Abedine Palace, Cairo, Egypt Fax: 011 202 390 1998 Email: webmaster at presidency.gov.eg

------------------ Send replies to answer at action-mail.org