[lbo-talk] Re: war propaganda

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 20:15:09 PST 2003

Nor, apparently, is Marxism meant to explain how class interests actually issue in the conduct of the individual whose actions make history. It mysterically translates those interests into the actions of the social groups, treating the individuals and their mental states as merely causally dependent, traegern of social relations. That's not the historical materialism I've spent decades patiently defending, but what do I know. I'm just a sometime Marx scholar who has to make a living defending antitrust defendants at 10.10 on a Friday night. jks

Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:>andie nachgeborenen:

>>As I said. Some people believe that History, no doubt through the operation
>>of Economics, notably class interests (but not, apparently class
>>_consciousness_, which is psychological) directly operates on historical
>>agencies -- classes, states (heaven forbid, not on individuals; they're
>>epiphenomenal too)
>
>As Sartre once told mechanical marxists: Valery is a petty
>bourgeois, but every petty bourgeois is not Valery.
>
>Ulhas

Marxism is not meant to explain which petty bourgeois becomes Valery and why. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus: