[lbo-talk] "Mechanical marxists"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 4 22:15:19 PST 2003

At 12:54 PM +0800 4/5/03, Grant Lee wrote:
>Hey, where can I get one of these things? Can they be programmed to
>automatically take out individual elements of capital, or do they
>have to be guided to their targets?

Also free of charge is "The Bell Tower" by Herman Melville, who created a literalized metaphor for the dialectical relation between master and slave in the figures of the mechanician Bannadonna and his automaton "iron slave" Talus, with the latter of whom Una ("an embodied hour"), a "powerful peasant," an "ill-starred workman," and "an earthquake" are brought in symbolic alliance: "So the blind slave obeyed its blinder lord, but, in obedience, slew him. So the creator was killed by the creature. So the bell was too heavy for the tower. So the bell's main weakness was where man's blood had flawed it" ("The Bell Tower," <http://www.melville.org/belltowr.htm>). -- Yoshie