[lbo-talk] Re: College students support war?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Apr 5 10:38:45 PST 2003

Carl Remick wrote:

>There was a great line on South Park recently: "There's a time and
>a place for everything, and it's called college." Undergraduate
>years are an intermission in your active adult life -- a break
>between being dominated by parents and being dominated by
>corporations. It's the time when you have the greatest opportunity
>to speak out about really matters to you.

If you don't have to work 20 or 30 hours a week, it helps.

Sometime during the 1970s, I read a neocon lamenting the cultural and political corruption of youth during. His explanation was that college gave otherwise middle class people an experience of leisure previously available only to the upper classes, and they liked it. This was, of course, a bad thing. Which no doubt contributed to the urgency of their battle to "raise standards" and tuition too.

Doug