[lbo-talk] College students support war?

chris wright cwright.21stcentury at rcn.com
Sat Apr 5 13:12:31 PST 2003

I can speak concretely about this in two aspects.

First, I work at a public school (6-12) as the computer guy. Not only is the staff mostly openly anti-war, but the 350 African American working class kids from the west side of Chicago are also mostly anti-war, and open about it. But then again, the most common logic with the kids seems to be "So many of us are dying here, on the west side, why are we being sent ti kill more people somewhere else?"

Secondly, my friend Nick De Genova, who is under attack at Columbia U. in New York has already been blessed with demonstrations from students at Columbia defending him.

I think that it is too easy to overestimate how conservative and conservatizing college often is. By 1968, polls showed that people without college educations were substantially more likely to be anti-war than college educated or attending people.

At the same time, college is not what it was in the 1930's. College has gone from being more or less a training ground for the elites and their minions to a means of educating skilled labor, ie lots of college is actually unwaged labor in preparation for becoming waged labor, albeit generally fairly highly skilled.

It is no accident that apprenticing just isn't what it used to be. Outside of the traditional skilled trades, skilled workers more often than not go to colleges of some sort to learn a trade. This has a benefit for capital in so far as education is standardized to some degree and also because one is less likely to get radicals out of a college setting where a lot of focussed, non-job related ideology, aka what is often passed off as history, political science, etc. is shoved on students. This does not mean I am against learning about history or against so-called Liberal Arts, but that the stuff taught is often little more than puerile nonsense, with some exceptions (such as anthro, for example, which does tend to harbor more radicals.)

College training is a safer and more systematic way to get both "higher quality" labor in certain fields, and also a safer way to take new workers to be out of the direct flow of the class struggle.

The result, IMO, is to import the class struggle into academia, however. The resolution is itself only going to generate a greater contradiction which will blow up on capital, and in fact seems to be now, as student radicalism is much higher now than comparable to the first 2 months of the Vietnam War.

Cheers, Chris