[lbo-talk] "Mechanical marxists"

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Apr 5 14:51:59 PST 2003

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 08:22:26 -0600 Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> writes:

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> >

> > of enunciation, I become a truly human subject. 'I am a
> replicant'
> > is the statement of the subject in its purest....In short, the
> > implicit thesis of _Blade Runner_ is that replicants are pure
> > subjects precisely in so far as they experience the fact that
> every
> > positive, substantial content, inclusive of the most intimate
> > fantasies, is not 'their own' but already implanted.
> >
> > (Slavoj Zizek, "'The Thing That Thinks': The Kantian Background of
> > the Noir Subject," _Shades of Noir: A Reader_, ed. Joan Copjec,
> > London; New York: Verso, 1993) *****
> > --
>
> Is this a complicated way of saying "Freedom is the recognition of
> necessity?"

That's what it looks like to me. As Justin you to remind us, unpacking that statement can be quite complicated. Sebastiano Timpanaro discussed this issue in his *On Materialism*, and noted that this thesis could be interpreted along Hegelian, Spinozist and even Baconian lines. In *AntiDuhring*, Engels seemed to draw upon Hegelian and Spinozist interpretations, but in the chapter of *Anti-Duhring*, "Freedom and Necessity," Engels, according to Timpanaro seemed to advance a a Baconian interpretation of freedom, in which nature obeys us, providing that we obey nature, as when Engels wrote "Freedom does not consist in the dream of independence of natural laws, but in the knowledge of these laws, and in the possibility this gives of systematically making them work towards definate ends."

Jim F.